The project’s goal was to support Google on their first 24/7 matching test outside of the US and Europe through the hourly retirement of I-REC(e) for Chilean data center energy consumption.
- The combination of contracted solar, wind and grid CFE provided an hourly matching of 69% for 2021 in Google’s data center in Chile.
- Provided the access to hourly or sub-hourly data, granular EAC infrastructure from the IREC Standard allows to implement 24/7 matching exercise.
- Contracts for clean energy projects under joint ownership need to be adapted in order to avoid double counting of hourly certificates by registries and project developers.
- Repeat and automate the hourly matching algorithm on an annual basis in Chile.
- Consider contracting other CFE technologies (e.g. battery, wind, hydro) to fill the remaining gaps to achieve c.a. 100% hourly matching.
- Explore hourly matching at other Google data centers in IREC countries.